So we finally have a new Canada Type website! Woohoo! Cue the cold water hose: Rather than cram this space with self-congratulatory prose about how great we are for doing this, and extended paragraphs about the long, arduous undertaking this whole thing was, here are a few points that should be made before we move on to actually
Welcome to Our New Site!
So we finally have a new Canada Type website! Woohoo! Cue the cold water hose: Rather than cram this space with self-congratulatory prose about how great we are for doing this, and extended paragraphs about the long, arduous undertaking this whole thing was, here are a few points that should be made before we move on to actually living in this new house:
What this face lift means to the Canada Type site user.
- A simpler, pleasant and contemporary interaction with our news and products.
- A responsive web experience that offers a sense of discovery and a little adventure, regardless of the device you’re using to visit us.
- A clean, streamlined product catalog experience, with sorting options that focus your visit on what you want from your visit to the site, not what the site wants from your visit.
- A comprehensive search engine that can help you reach every nook and cranny of our font library.
- A secure, private account area where your digital purchases, receipts and order history are all retained for as long as you want them to be (or at least for as long as we’re around).
What the new website means to Canada Type.
- More time to do what we really want to do. Make more fonts and update/expand existing ones. Putting this new domicile together (and tearing it apart, then putting it together again — loooong story!) took a considerable chunk of most days for the past few years.
- A great shot at introducing our work to a new generation of designers. This actually is Canada Type’s 15th year of existence. That’s quite a few aesthetic shifts, industry upheavals, tech evolutions, and overall experience gained.
- A chance to keep those who follow our work informed about our current endeavours, reflections, observations, associations, future plans, and pretty much everything we’re up to. Having such an outlet is kind of a big deal for us, if only for the organizational value it offers. By the looks of it, we’ll be making use of it quite regularly.
- The two previous incarnations of our internet glass house were kind of stuck in the land of the desktop, which meant a sub-optimal sense of mobility for us. With this new web site, we’re looking at the prospect of more efficient and time-saving methods of interacting with design and communication tools. Much better now, thanks!
Lastly, giving credit where it’s due. The many still and moving parts of this site wouldn’t really have been possible without these people: Rolf Langenhuijzen planted the seed of what became the library area. Ed Davin, Victor Lee and Karandeepsingh Saini weaved the intricate tech fabric behind all the pretty appearances. Grace Laemmler wore various hats with her many talents and kept us honest, creative, enthusiastic, and always looking a few steps ahead. All good people who are very deserving of praise and patronage.
Thanks for visiting and reading. Look around, and hopefully you’ll like what we’ve done with the place.